Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Third month. Time for another post. My time with my family is half over. Its an incredibly sad thought. I am so dreading moving and having to live with other people. It is going to be one of the hardest things I've had to do. I feel as if I've been waiting my whole life to be here in Vienna, with this family, with these people, and in the school I'm now in. This month has been a very busy month. It was very long, but went by quickly. I am still taking my dance class, I've been to a couple of plays, I've had a run-in with an eye infection and various visits to the hospital and eye doctors offices, been to a couple parties at my dance school, and a few other things in between. Yesterday I carved a jack-o-lantern, the day after Halloween (: The leaves are almost all changed or fallen, and its getting windier and colder. I went to an English musical with my English class, and a German play with my German class. Its part of the culture here to go to plays, operas, concert performances, and that sort of thing regularly. My family's birthdays are coming up this month (all except my host father), so its almost time to start shopping for presents!
This past week we had a lot of time off from school. We went on Monday and Tuesday, then had the rest of the week off. This week we have Monday and Tuesday off, and then the rest of the week we have school.
Our next Rotary function is in December in Salzburg. I can't wait to see all the other exchange students again!
My visa is not finished yet, and I only have 90 days from when I arrive in Austria to finish it or else I need to leave the country and come back in. That means if on November 11th I don't have the visa in hand, I'll be taking a little trip. Hopefully they contact me soon!
There are a few more cultural differences I've noticed but failed to mention. For breakfast here (at least in my family) there is almost always bread of some sort and cornflakes. Breakfast here is not as big of a deal as it is in America in all the movies. Here the biggest meal of the day is usually lunch. People here tend to have a lot of guests over or make a lot of visits to other people's homes. The movies are not as big of a deal as they seem to be in Maine.
I have been invited to a ball this upcoming month. I am borrowing a white dress from a friend of mine, and hopefully I will be able to dance a little better by then ^^
I was fortunate enough to go to the Gründesmeeting (first groundbreaking meeting) of Interact in Vienna, and my host brother, Thomas, came too. We are members of the first ever Interact Club in Vienna.
I have to go to dinner now, so you'll hear more in a month!
Bis später! [:

No comments:

Post a Comment